5 Quick Vacation Exercise Tips!
Congratulations! So you’re finally going on that amazing trip?
You have been waiting and working so hard and for so long to go on this trip, both at your job and the gym!
Are you’re wondering how you can keep up your workouts well enough until you get back to your regular routine while being able to enjoy all the delicious foods your location of choice has to offer? Want to indulge but know all that work at the gym isn’t blown on divine vacation food from around the world?
We’ve got you covered!
We’ve taken some of our own experience of what works for us and also asked around to get a list of some tips that can work for you!
1. Wake up 30 minutes earlier – If you are already a morning person, or if you go east or west on your vacation, this can make getting in a workout easier for you. If you are able to carve out even a half hour for yourself to set the tone for your day it can be a memorable part of your trip. You can even do the workout right in your hotel or guest room, outside, or at a gym if possible. Pillows, coffee table books, or your carry on suitcase can be used as equipment in your workout. Bring that resistance band and get it done!
If you would like more ideas on some simple but effective routines, just contact us before your trip and we can send you a program.
2. Make it a family event – One of the best buy-ins for any exercise program is support at home. Keep the fun going on the road and plan one exercise a day together such as a hike, long walk on the beach, or a bike ride. Whether you are planning at home, or once you have arrived at your destinations, rotate everyone’s pick for the day and include kids on excursion selections! They will want to be your tour-guides and will talk about it for months once they are home! Check mark – instant lifetime memories! Good job Mom and Dad!
3. Sneak in mini-work outs – Does your hotel have a small gym? Taking the stairs instead of the elevator each time your go to your room is an easy way to get in that lunge and lift. Add in squats, side-lunges, calf raises, push-ups, wall-sits and more while you are getting ready for the day. Again, bringing that resistance band in your suitcase or carry-on and use it anywhere! Your body will remember and extend your hard earned results!
4. Go outside, find a class, or a gym! Not motivated? Get out! Sometimes you just need a little separation to get in the zone and it all comes back to you! A little cardio, short weight-bearing workout, even for 30 minutes, can get those endorphins flowing! Check out ClassPass or research local facilities before you head out on your trip. I was able to hear Payal Kadakia, Founder and Executive Chairman of ClassPass, speak last month in Beverly Hills and am amazed at her journey delivering classes to everyone all around the world with more locations coming what seems weekly! Truly phenomenal!
5. Drink a lot of water - Listen to your body – are you hungry or just thirsty? By staying hydrated and keeping water with you in places like the beach, plane, outings, or in your hotel room, you won’t mistake your hunger for being thirsty.
You should be drinking half the ounces of your body weight every day no matter where you are, but more if you are active or sweating a lot. Wait 10 to 15 minutes and see if you’re still hungry.
Keep up the great work and remember, it’s not what you do in that one week away so much as what you do with the other 51 weeks of the year!
We’d love to hear what worked for you on your trip by sending us a comment and photo to share with our Meraki Fitness friends on social media!
Have a great trip!